One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples” (Luke 11:1).
The disciples were students of Jesus. This is reflected in their walk with him as well as their desire to learn more from him. There are many ways to teach and learn. From the passage above, we see one of the disciples going to Jesus to make a request on behalf of the others, just as he had finished praying. The request was; “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples” (Luke 11:1b). Though this request was simple, it was very profound.
The disciples have been watching Jesus praying; and had always desired to pray like him. Having this hope to be like their Master, they taught of making their desire known to him, hence the request. Now the question is, “What motivated the disciples to send one of their own to go to Jesus and make this request?” The following reasons will help us understand why?
1. The disciples’ determination to be the best in their calling.
2. The disciples had obedient spirit; and were willing to do whatever Jesus told them to do.
3. The disciples recognized and accepted Jesus as their leader.
4. The disciples had a good relationship with Jesus; and so could freely approach him with their problems.
5. The disciples saw how Jesus recognized the importance of prayer; and so made it the cornerstone of his ministry.
6. The disciples were hoping to do the mighty works Jesus was doing; by healing the sick, casting out evil spirits, raising the dead etc.
7. The disciples hoped to be good leaders and teachers; just as Jesus was to them.
The Bible supports the above reasons in many ways when we read about the successful ministries the disciples had after Jesus had left them for heaven. This means that, if any of us – both leaders and followers want to be successful in our ministries, we need to have a strong relationship with Jesus; as well as the earthly leaders God placed over us. For it is only when our minds are in sync with theirs, and we totally support the vision God has given them, that our own ministries will blossom.
Just as the disciples made their request known to Jesus, we also have to make our requests known to him. It is only him who can help us by supplying all our needs as we serve him. Our hope and motivation should be asking God to give us more wisdom to pray, more grace to pray as we hope to make prayer the cornerstone of our ministries. God is waiting on all of us to cry unto him; so that, a mighty revival will break on the nations of the world; in other for many souls to be drawn into his kingdom
As always, let’s continue to hold each other’s hand and pray for ourselves as the coming of Jesus draws closer. Do send this study to your contacts as well.
*NOTE: We just started our 21 Days Special Prayer & Fasting. Let’s hear from you by sending us your prayer requests by clicking here on the prayer request page.
Dr. Charles Mantey
Disiciples Revival Church
This page contains private, proprietary, and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying or distribution of the contents of this page is strictly prohibited.